eXTReMe Tracker

   
 

 

Electric Posse is a blog about tech and video game stuffs. Leave a comment or email EP. We like feedback and we're always looking to recruit more posters.

   

Roy and GM


GM, San Francisco
likes:
fighting games, 2D, big breasted video game characters, podcasts, coffee, Star Trek, getting into fist fights
dislikes:
Sony, HALO, organic food, iPods, EB Games, macs

Roy, Los Angeles
likes:
meat, polyester twill pants, cuddling, Pride FC, sweaters, PDAs, Tekken
dislikes:
Itagaki's face, RPG players, HALO/HALO players, The Beatles, "brahs", winter, Xbox controllers, crooked titties, Star Wars fans

contact us

 

002 :: Square

filed:9/29/2005 by GM


I hate Square. Let's leave Taito and Enix out of this. I really hate Square. It wasn't always this way. I've played Final Fantasy (1) through IX. I was the fucktard waiting in line whenever the Metreon had special Final Fantasy events at the PlayStation store we have here in San Francisco. Yes, I even have a nice Final Fantasy Fan Day t-shirt (it's stained with chocolate, how funny.) I played all the other RPGs too.

What happened to make me hate Square so much?

I woke up one day and realised that their games suck. I realised that Final Fantasy VII wasn't that great. I realised that FFVIII was contrived, IX was short, and all X/X-2 were was fanservice. Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve, the Bouncer? What's the point. I have very little to say about Final Fantasy titles before VII because Square was still learning then.

What did they do with VII? They didn't even finish it. And now they're taking this chance to make a few extra bucks (read: Advent Children, mobile RPGs, etc) before they bow out to possibly fall into the same disorganised slump as Microsoft.

When a company expands too much, starts creating absolutely nothing new, and relies on old tactics.. they start to suffer from the Microsoft complex. Everything is disorganised, the employees are unhappy, no one in the business is impressed anymore. Square won't die from this, but I find nothing worse than being passed over because someone with a Google complex is doing something better.

I said I used to love Square. I loved Live-A-Live and Romancing SaGa. I've met Nomura. Until Square gets some balls and does something new and exciting that's actually Square's idea and not some left-over from Enix/Taito, I refuse to respect the company and its fans.

In some ways, I wish Square would somehow sabotage the Bust-a-Move franchise. Girls everywhere would be heartbroken. What would they do when they tag along with their boyfriends to the arcade? God forbid.

I am now surely guaranteed no readers. Or at least it will be set in stone once I get to talking about how much HALO sucks.


filed under: ,

- permalink

 
 all original content copyright EP
 

Previously

001 :: EP