eXTReMe Tracker

   
 

 

Electric Posse is a blog about tech and video game stuffs. Leave a comment or email EP. We like feedback and we're always looking to recruit more posters.

   

Roy and GM


GM, San Francisco
likes:
fighting games, 2D, big breasted video game characters, podcasts, coffee, Star Trek, getting into fist fights
dislikes:
Sony, HALO, organic food, iPods, EB Games, macs

Roy, Los Angeles
likes:
meat, polyester twill pants, cuddling, Pride FC, sweaters, PDAs, Tekken
dislikes:
Itagaki's face, RPG players, HALO/HALO players, The Beatles, "brahs", winter, Xbox controllers, crooked titties, Star Wars fans

contact us

 

005 :: become an asshole/good

filed:10/01/2005 by GM


I don't believe in hobbies. I was never taught to half-ass something. If you're going to do something, become completely obsessed and drown yourself in it. I thought I was the only one who had this mentality until I found other people who played the same video games as I did.

Every day is spent practicing. You fear the day you hit that "wall." The wall is a place where you've reached your limit and can only improve by making extra effort. Think of it as hitting a high level in an MMORPG and looking at your EXP wondering how you're going to manage to level up again. Either you can go find a better dungeon with better, high-level spawn or make the ignorant mistake of using low-level spawn and macro'ing. So once you hit that wall, it really tests your charisma, skill and dedication. Some people continue to improve, some people never actually hit the wall, and others will stay at their level for the rest of their career.

Being around people who understand this concept and fear it as well is liberating but will also feel like personality suicide on your part. Every day you and your friends push each other, possibly getting angry at the tiniest flaws in your performance. It doesn't take long until that perfectionist-mentality spreads to the rest of your life. All of a sudden you turn into an asshole. It's crazy.

Imagine a whole group of these socially dysfunctional obsessed. You bring these people together and leave them alone at an arcade and you'll end up with more drama and gossip than an episode of Degrassi: Next Generation.

I was a huge asshole. I still am, but at least I have it under control. I refuse to let any game rule my life like before. While this will mend my temperament and weed out my fucktard gamer friends over time, I can't help but think I won't be good at anything ever again. It's kind of defeating.

Let's see how long I can wallow in self-defeat before I take up a new life revolving solely around one video game. I could always play Ultima Online again. Hah.


filed under: ,

- permalink

 
 all original content copyright EP